How do you obtain a work permit in The Netherlands for your Limited Company?

As a shareholder or executive of your private limited company you might want to consider moving to the Netherlands. If you are a resident of the EU you have the right to work in the Netherlands for your own company, you will not need a residence or work permit.

INCO can assist you with a variety of Dutch immigration services, and has assisted numerous entrepreneurs to obtain a startup visa, entrepreneurs visa, or to apply for a work permit for their staff.

If you are not a resident of the EU, the best thing to do is to first go to the IND (their website is: On the website you will find everything you need to know to be able to apply for your stay in the Netherlands. Things you will find on the website are: fees for the different procedures, requirements your business needs to fulfil in order to be able to apply and if your type of business is of added value to the Netherlands.

When you want to stay in the Netherlands for more than 3 months, for what is considered “long stay” as an independent entrepreneur, you should apply under this category: MVV (provisional residence permit).


The IND will see if you meet these conditions:

  • applicant must not constitute a risk to the public;

  • applicant should not be suffering from tuberculosis;

  • applicant should have sufficient funds to establish a business in the Netherlands and maintain living;

  • applicant must be below the age of 60 years;

  • applicant must meet the specified requirements for practicing his/her profession in the Netherlands;

  • applicant must start a new company in the Netherlands;

  • applicant's business activities should be which can support Dutch economic purpose;

  • applicant must live in the Netherlands to control and run his/her proposed business activities.

Documents that you will be asked to bring to the consulate/embassy/IND:

  • valid passport;

  • legalised birth certificate of the applicant;

  • declaration of background duly signed;

  • proof of the applicant's International Health Insurance with coverage in the Netherlands;

  • two passport sized photographs;

  • documentary evidence that the applicant will be working in the Netherlands as an independent entrepreneur;

  • copy of the documents showing that the entrepreneur is authorised to run a business in the

  • Netherlands (where applicable);

  • if registration is compulsory: documentary evidence from the chamber of commerce not older than 3 months;

  • copy of the business plan of the applicant, containing: information on the applicant's personal details,

  • his/her family and income situation, financial commitments, his/ her education/ training and

  • professional experiences.

Other business related information which you will have to have to explain:

  • business information: sector in which the applicant will be operating, starting date of the business location of the business and other such related details.

  • commercial aspect of the applicants business: description of the type of company and products, the innovative ideas thereof and the marketability (including target groups and competitors).

  • legal aspects of the business: legal form of the company, trade name, liability, licences required to start the business, insurance and delivery terms & conditions.

  • financial aspects of business: financial plans, investment budget, repayment plan, operational budget and liquidity forecast.

  • management aspects: description of the organisation including the size of the staff complement.

  • proof as to what makes the applicant to go to the Netherlands in order to run the business.

  • proof that the applicants company is a new company.

Other requirements:

  • if the applicants company is a public limited company, private limited company or partnership firm, copy of the deed of incorporation showing the authorities and responsibilities of the partners and their profit sharing arrangements;

  • if the applicant is an independent freelancer: copies of the contracts with Dutch clients for the preceding year;

  • proof of registration with collective industrial or professional organisations (if applicable);

  • proof from the concerned department showing that the entrepreneur has a VAT obligation (if applicable);

  • copies of purchase or lease contracts of the business premise (if applicable);

  • financial forecasts duly drafted by a chartered accountant (if applicable).

  • This can be done from your home country or depending if your country needs visa for your stay or not you can do it from the Netherlands. It is advisable to have legal support when going through these proceedings, in order to help you go through the different processes.


The Dutch American Friendship Treaty and the Dutch Japanese Friendship Treaty make it easier for Americans and Japanese to start a business in the Netherlands. Part of the preferential treatment gives them an easier procedure for arranging a residence permit in the Netherlands. American and Japanese entrepreneurs don’t have to prove that they will be adding value to the Dutch economy.

To be able to apply for the conditions of the treaty the applicant must have the following:

  1. registration of the business in the trade register of the Chamber of Commerce;

  2. a business plan demonstrating commercial activities in the Netherlands;

  3. a financial report, prepared by a qualified accountant or tax advisor;

  4. a valid passport valid for at least one year from the application date;

  5. health insurance;

  6. substantial personal capital invested in the business. Borrowed funds are not considered.

The amount of capital required is determined on a case-by-case basis. For a limited company the required capital investment is € 4,500.