Easiest way to obtain a Work Permit in Netherlands | The ICT Permit

The easiest way to register a company, and to obtain a residency in Netherlands for staff members, is to register a subsidiary of your existing business. Then you can be relocated as a Manager or Specialist to the Dutch group company (the Intra Company Transfer permit allows for this, although a European Blue Card can also work, if the lead has a Masters Degree), without any big issues.

You need to consider a minimum salary of 4.600 EUR per month, and the conditions mentioned here.

It will be good if each lead can describe the job/activities that you will perform in Netherlands, so I can send you information about the work permit program that will fit with your situation, and then we can move forward.

If the lead is an employee, please check out this program, and let me know if you can meet these criteria (like the minimum salary requirement).

The advantage of the ICT permit, and the European Blue Card, is that you don't need a local sponsor. The disadvantage is that the permit is only valid for 3 years. So at some point, the permit needs to be converted to another permit, like the Highly Skilled Migrant permit (which is just another version of the ICT permit, but based on Dutch law, while ICT permit is based on EU law). For the Highly Skilled Migrant permit, the company needs a sponsorship status in Netherlands. So its best to wait 2 years, to build a track record in Netherlands, after which this sponsorship is applied for. Once it has this status, it can relatively easy employ any non-EU staff member, as long at that staff member meets the salary requirements.

The ICT process is straightforward, and we don't have to focus on a business plan. I think this would be the best first regime to focus on, to obtain residency. (though we suggest to obtain legal advice, before starting)

For the recognized sponsor application, we normally charge €2.400,- excluding 21 % VAT, 6% office costs and excluding the IND fee which is €2638-. This does not include our help to draft the Business Plan, although we can provide you an intake checklist on subjects that you need to cover. We also provide a service to evaluate your plan, to see if you mentioned important topics. INCO is recognised sponsor itself, so obviously we understand the process very well.

Fees ICT option

Our fee for this permit is € 1.750,- excluding 21% VAT. (Ex IND fees ,as you mentioned in our full price schedule)

In case your company is not a recognised sponsor, the IND will most likely forward the application for review by the Dutch Labour Authority (abbreviated in Dutch as “UWV”).

The Labour Authority may request additional information and documents. For this procedure our associated Immigration Lawyers charges an additional fee of €950,- excluding 6% general office costs and 21% VAT.

Temporary residence permit

You may be outside the Netherlands for a maximum of 6 consecutive months. Or you may be 3 consecutive years per year for a maximum of 4 consecutive months outside the Netherlands.

For highly skilled migrants, researchers, students, foreign investors and holders of a residence permit transfer within a company (directive) there are exceptions to these rules:

  • Study residence permit: you may stay outside the Netherlands for a maximum of 1 year. A condition is that you start taking temporary education abroad in order to complete your studies in the Netherlands.

  • Residence permit knowledge migrant and scientific researcher directive 2005/71 / EC or researcher directive 2016/801: you can work abroad for a maximum of 8 months. You must, however, continue to meet the conditions of your residence permit.

  • Residence permit as a foreign investor: you can stay outside the Netherlands for a maximum of 8 months. You must, however, continue to meet the conditions of your residence permit.

  • Residence permit transfer within a company (directive 2014/66 / EU): you reside in another member state of the European Union on the basis of your residence permit for short or long-term mobility.

Can a Dutch ICT holder also execute projects/reside in other EU countries?

Intra-EU mobility

So far the initial application for an ICT license in the Netherlands (mutatismutandis, of course, more or less the same conditions apply in the other EU member states). The real benefit of the scheme, however, is in intra-EU mobility as soon as a foreigner within the group has been transferred to an establishment in an EU Member State and has an ICT permit: transfer to any other Member State than the Member State that has the permit handed in. There are two options:

Short term mobility

Short mobility is residence for group work in another EU Member State for a maximum period of 90 days in a period of 180 days. The main residence remains in the country that issued the initial IT license. For short-term mobility to the Netherlands, a notification obligation for the short stay at the UWV applies at least 2 days before the start of the work (Article 2a of the Work for Aliens Act). The foreign national can start work immediately in the other EU member state; work and residence are, as it were, "covered" by the IT license issued by another Member State.

Long term mobility

Long mobility is residence for group work in another EU member state for longer than 90 days in a period of 180 days. Although a separate residence permit must be applied for for this stay (an "ICT-mobile" residence permit), an entry visa is not required. Some conditions are not re-assessed when applying: duration of employment, job requirements and trainee agreement. During the application, the foreign national can immediately start work in the other EU member state. If the application shows that the Netherlands will be the member state of the longest stay, a full ICT test will take place.